Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Cooked and cooled Rice – 1 cup (ordinary or Basmati)
- Fresh Tomato – 1 big, chopped finely
- Onion – 1 medium, chopped finely
- Fresh Green peas – ½ cup
- Ginger and garlic paste – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Black mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Fresh Coriander – chopped finely, for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Heat oil in a wide bottomed pan. Once oil is hot enough, add black mustard seeds and allow spluttering.
- Add the onions and sauté on medium flame until soft and translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste, turmeric and sauté until the raw smell is gone.
- Add the fresh green peas; add little water just to barely cover the peas, and cook covered for 3-4 minutes until peas are soft and most of the water is gone.
- Add the tomatoes, red chili powder, sugar, salt, fresh coriander leaves. Mix well and sauté for two minutes.
- Add the cooled rice to this and gently mix taking care not to smash the rice grains. Check for salt and adjust as required.
- Serve hot with Raita, Boondi and salad to make a complete meal.