Turmeric-Ginger-Lemon detox drink! This is more like a tea (without the tea leaves, of course), and a lot healthier 🙂 This is essentially a morning tonic, which is immensely beneficial if consumed first thing after you wake up. I’ve been drinking this for a while now, since i’m on a mission to make lifestyle changes that are lasting, rather than quick fixes to lose weight. Coming back to this drink, let’s see what it can do for you:
- Lemon speeds up your metabolism and flushes out toxins
- Ginger helps with indigestion, bloating, and boosts immunity
- Turmeric contains curcumin, which is anti inflammatory, antiseptic, high in antioxidants, and enhances the body’s ability to fight diseases.
Great, isn’t it? 🙂 The method of preparation of this drink is quite simple. I just crush ginger, add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (you can crush along with ginger if you have fresh turmeric root). Then I add boiling water to this, and let it steep for 15 minutes, covered. Then I filter it, squeeze in some lemon juice, and then drink it hot or warm. You could, optionally, add honey to sweeten this a bit. It is ideal to drink this tea ‘hot to warm’ on an empty stomach, as it really helps the body kickstart its metabolic processes and flush out impurities.
Read on for the recipe!
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp (or a small piece of fresh turmeric root, peeled and crushed)
- Ginger – peeled and crushed, 2 inch piece
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp, or juice of a quarter-wedge of lemon
- Honey – 1 tsp (optional)
- Water – 1.5 cups
- Take fresh, peeled ginger in a mortar and pestle.
- Crush it nicely.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Transfer the crushed ginger to a separate bowl. Add the turmeric powder to this. If adding crushed turmeric root, add it here.
- Pour the boiling water over this.
- Cover and let it steep for 15 minutes.
- When you check after 15 minutes, it will look like this.
Filter it, squeeze some lemon juice, and drink immediately.
TIPS & TWEAKS
- Optionally, you may add 1 tsp of honey to this. I tend to avoid it since I’m trying to eat less sugar.
- I suggest making this fresh every morning, as fresh ingredients are always more potent and effective.
- You can also add fresh turmeric root to this. While peeling and crushing ginger, also peel and crush a small piece of the fresh turmeric root and add.