This Spicy-Sweet Orange and Pineapple Salad is incredibly delicious and easy to make. I find that this combination of fresh oranges and juicy pineapple, with the slight heat from jalapeños and the tang from chaat masala really enhances the flavor of the salad and explodes on your taste buds – in essence, a true burst of flavor! I had this for lunch yesterday – this can also make a very light dinner, or evening snack on a hot summer day.
I prefer a dash of sweet in my salads, without having to add extra sugar unnecessarily. I also prefer my salads light, nutritious, refreshing and tasty, as opposed to heavy calorie-laden dressings. Adding fruits and nuts to salads offer an easy, healthy and great way of doing this, so I adore the combination of fruits and vegetables in salads. Especially with tropical salads, a good mix of sweet and spicy really takes the taste up to another plane! Serve this chilled or at room temperature on a sunny day, or scoop it up like salsa with chips – I promise you will love it either way! 🙂
I love using seasonal fruit, as I believe that nature produces certain fruits in certain seasons, for certain reasons 😀 Oranges are now in season in India, and I find that the Nagpur variety of smallish-medium oranges are particularly sweet and juicy fruits with just the right amount of tartness. Indian oranges peel off really easily, and the fruit inside tends to be covered in fibre. They can be easily peeled, segmented and used in variety of dishes. I had a can of tinned pineapple sitting in the fridge, and I thought of combining both as central ingredients to make a salad. However, please use fresh fruit if it is in season – nothing beats the taste of fresh fruit, and nothing is healthier!
- Pineapple – 1/2 cup, chopped
- Orange – peeled and segmented, 1/2 cup
- Pomegranate arils – 1/4 cup
- Green capsicum – 1/2 cup, chopped
- Fresh coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, chopped finely
- Jalapeños / red paprika/ green chilli – 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Sugar – 1 tsp (optional, only if the pineapples are not sweet enough)
- Chaat masala – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash, peel and chop fruit as per your preference.
- Mix all the items under ‘dressing’ and whisk well to incorporate.
- Pour over chopped fruits and mix well.
- Allow to rest in fridge , covered, for 1 hour for all the flavours to mingle. Serve chilled.
TIPS & TWEAKS
- Pick nice and juicy yellow pineapples for this salad. If your pineapple is tart, the salad will not taste very great since oranges also have a sweet-tart taste.
- Pick whatever fleshy fruits are in season. Thinly sliced apples make a great addition to this salad, so do cubed strawberries, papaya, musk melons and pears.
- You can substitute jalapeños with green chillies for heat, but slice them really thinly so you are not left with big chunks while chewing!
- Feel free to add chopped walnuts, almonds or crushed peanuts to add some crunch.
- Also, you could add fresh lettuce or spinach or rocket leaves as well.