Hello all! 😀 Come follow us on Instagram, a_burst_of_flavor.
Day 9 of Navathri- a very simple, yet flavourful chickpeas sundal recipe!
For day nine or the final day of Navarathri (Vijayadasami / Dussehra marks the end of the Navarathri festive season), it is the cult favorite chickpeas sundal. This is probably the easiest, and the most commonly made sundal. This dish is packed with essential nutrients (especially protein) and soluble fibre, so it makes for a very good evening snack.
You could always use the leftover chickpea brine (or aquafaba) as stock for soups, or whip up a delicious cream for desserts!
- Channa/Chickpeas – about a cup, soaked overnight
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Green chillies – 2, finely chopped
- Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – a few
- Jeera/Cumin – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida/hing- a pinch
- Salt to taste
Cooking the legumes
- Wash the chickpeas thoroughly and soak them overnight.
- Pressure cook them (1:2 water) and about 2 teaspoons of salt, for about 8-10 whistles, or until chickpeas are soft but firm enough to hold their shape.
- Heat oil in a pan. Once hot, add mustard seeds and allow them to splutter. Then, add jeera, curry leaves and hing.
- Add drained channa to the pan and quickly stir.
- Then, add the fresh grated coconut and salt to taste.
- Give this a quick mix and switch off the flame. Serve hot or warm.
Tips & Tweaks
- Optionally, squeeze lemon juice before serving.
- You could also add finely chopped fresh coriander and fresh grated carrot for added taste.
Happy Navarathri and happy cooking! 🙂