We had this for breakfast today. If you love paneer, you will absolutely love this sandwich. It is flavourful, cheesy from the hot, melting Paneer – and crispy on the outside. Filling, nutritious and totally delicious !
- Fresh Paneer – 200gm, crumbled by hand
- Bell peppers – 1/2 each of one red, yellow and green, chopped finely
- Fresh green peas – a handful
- Onion – 1 big, chopped finely
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Fresh Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1/2 tbsp
For the Paneer Bhurji filling:
- Heat the oil in a wide bottomed pan. Add the onions and peas, fry until soft and translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and turmeric powder, sauté well until the aromas start wafting through.
- Add the chopped bell peppers and sauté well until soft.
- Add the chilli powder, cumin and coriander powder, salt and sugar, mix well until incorporated. If needed, add very little water (1 or 2 tsp), just to prevent the spices from catching at the bottom of the pan.
- Add the crumbled paneer and mix well. Taste and adjust for salt as may be necessary.
- Switch off the stove, add the lemon juice and mix well.
Assembling the sandwich:
- Spread the paneer bhurji filling evenly on one side of the bread. Place another piece of bread on top of this.
- Fry the bread on a grill pan ( I used olive oil and butter) until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve hot and crisp with a side of ketchup.