This is a delightful, light, and flavorful salad that is an absolute breeze to make. An easy way to add raw carrots to your regular diet, this salad is really healthy and nutritious. I started eating this only after I got married. My MIL makes this version of the salad, which is great with anything you can think of. The sweetness of the carrots combined with the tanginess of the lemon juice, perfectly seasoned with just salt – emboldens the natural flavors of carrot and makes it a real pleasure to eat. If you can get your hands onsome really fresh and juicy carrots, this is a cracker of a dish 🙂
- Fresh Carrots – 3
- Fresh coriander – about ¼ cup, chopped
- Black mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida / Hing – a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Wash and grate the carrots finely.
- Add the chopped coriander to the carrots.
- Add salt and lemon juice to this. Mix well.
- In a tempering pan, heat 1 tsp of oil.
- Once hot, add mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add hing and switch off the stove.
- Let this oil cool down for few minutes. If you add the hot oil from the stove to the carrots, it will cook the carrots and change the colour to pale orange. We want to retain the freshness and colour of carrots. The intention is to add tempering only for taste and texture.
- Add the cooled tempering to the carrot mixture. Mix well and serve.
Note: Mix well just before serving as the salt and lemon juice makes the carrots release their juices, which usually tends to collect at the bottom of the bowl.