Fresh, crisp and sweet kernels of sweetcorn need little to no accompaniment. At our home they are enjoyed as is happily. The most popular way to enjoy sweetcorn here is to slather butter over piping hot sweetcorn, add some salt for taste and devour 🙂 You can see such stalls in malls and the roadside, whipping up a variety of flavours. Another way to enjoy sweetcorn is in the form of an easy-peasy salad. This is so simple and flavorful that it is a great accompaniment to any meal, the bonus being that it is very quick to put together with zero fuss involved.
- Sweetcorn kernels – 1 can ( I bought Waitrose)
- Green bell pepper – 1 big, chopped finely
- Jalapenos – 1/4 cup (I used the canned ones, they don’t pack as much heat)
- Cucumber – 1 small, chopped finely
- Tomato – 1 big, de-seeded & chopped finely
- Lemon juice – 1/2 tsp
- Mayonnaise – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chaat masala – 1 tsp
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Wash and drain the sweetcorn kernels. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add green bell pepper, jalapenos, tomatoes, cucumber and sweetcorn. Mix well to incorporate.
- Add all the items under ‘Dressing’ category to a smaller bowl and stir well with a spoon. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly. Add this to your salad and give it a good mix.
Salad keeps well in refrigerator for three days (although the dressing does tend to get a little watery due to the cucumber).
This salad is specially yummy due to the sweetness from the corn, the tang from the lemon juice and chaat masala, and the slight heat from jalapenos and pepper. The overall taste is really good – this would be a great summer salad. Serve cold as topping for bruschettas, side for your meal, or make a bowl of this a meal in itself ! Enjoy 🙂